Connecting Every Corner of Peterborough-Kawartha to Reliable, High-Speed Internet
Home » My Priorities » Connecting Every Corner of Peterborough-Kawartha to Reliable, High-Speed Internet
Internet is no longer a luxury. It’s a necessity. Students learn online, e-commerce is the norm for businesses and employees now work remotely more than ever. Our economy is quickly changing, and the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated this change.
Reliable, high-speed internet is the road to prosperity and our rural communities cannot be left behind. Investing in real, tangible broadband infrastructure projects has been at the forefront of MPP Smith’s effort to bring families, jobs and investment into Peterborough-Kawartha.
Here’s how we’re connecting every corner of our community to high-speed internet and cell service:
- In 2019, $71 million was invested to expand cell service to under- and un-served areas through the Eastern Ontario Regional Network which will ensure all populated areas in Eastern Ontario have quality service;
- By late 2021, Rogers had established 5G throughout much of the region;
- In 2021, as part of a $1.2 billion announcement in Selwyn, 8,700 homes and businesses in Peterborough-Kawartha with poor or no internet will be connected to high-speed, reliable internet;
- Many of those connections will be established by 2022, with the rest of Ontario by 2025 and;
- Broadband infrastructure projects are underway in Havelock, Peterborough, North Kawartha, Selwyn, Douro-Dummer and Trent Lakes.